Patient with prolonged erection for more than four hours (General Surgery)

M. A. Toyeb, Nazma Parveen., MBBS


Medical Case Details:

What is the condition in which a person has erection for more than four hours. It is not painful and only happens when the patient is aroused.

I don't think it's priapism. Any ideas?



    Dr. Ajit Kumar Varma
    General Surgeon

    Since the condition is not painful, unlikely to be Priapism. Most common cause could be psychological, since it is associated with arousal. However it would be good to get an contrast MRI study to see for any vascular etiology.

    ▲ 2
    01.Dec, 12:19pm

    Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa

    It is Persistent Arousal Disorder . It could be due to injury to Pudendal Nerve or may be Psychological.Does he have erection only with excitement or spontaneously as well ? Priapism can be without pain . It is called High Flow Priapism . It is found in Blood Dyscrasia, Megaloblastic anemia. Investigate by blood count, detailed history and duplex sonography

    ▲ 1
    01.Dec, 02:15pm

    Dr. M. A. Toyeb, Nazma Parveen
    General Practitioner

    Thank you Dr Ajit. Yes I think it is psychological. After proper history I gathered that the patient is a sex addict.

    ▲ 2
    01.Dec, 02:49pm

    Dr. M. A. Toyeb, Nazma Parveen
    General Practitioner

    No Dr Saaatish it's only when he is aroused buy remains for 4 to 5 hours.

    ▲ 1
    01.Dec, 02:51pm

    Dr. Vinod Kumar Goyal
    Ayurveda Specialist

    Hi dear
    It happens when the patient takes some medicines, may be allopathic or even ayurvedic containing opium salts. people tale it to prolong sexual pleasure.

    03.Dec, 07:33pm

    Dr. Ram Naresh Daga

    This is high flow priapism...which is usually painless...Best treated by intervention radiologist...
    most common cause is trauma.

    30.Jun, 09:01pm

Are you a doctor?

Please Login to comment or ask a question.

New to icliniq? Sign Up Now




Disclaimer: All medical case discussions published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.