Walking defines the power of mobility in humans to get into a healthy life with an investment of zero money. The habit of walking should be inculcated by everyone in their life for a better tomorrow. There are several benefits of walking every day, which many people are unaware of. It is always easy to advise anybody to walk every day, but not many are aware of the benefits and some unknown facts about walking. Take a look at the article to find out more.
What Are the Benefits of Walking?
1) Deep Vein Thrombosis - Walking lowers the development of deep vein thrombosis (DVT). While walking, the calf muscles come to play, which helps in the normal pumping of blood and ensures venous drainage is done correctly.
2) Anxiety - Walking reduces anxiety and stress in people. The natural painkillers (Endorphin and Enkephalin) and healers inside the body get activated through more circulation to the entire body. People should try to release all their stress by focusing on walking only and sweating out every toxin.
3) Neuroplasticity - Walking helps improve the neuroplasticity in the brain, which is essential for the growth and development of the neurons. In recent studies, it was found that neuroplasticity plays a major role in stroke patients. So to avoid stroke, walking more can improve the process of neuroplasticity.
4) Positivity - Walking in an open area helps improve the memory and thinking capacity of the brain, increasing the number of good hormones in the body. When people begin to stroll outside their homes along with mother nature, they find themselves completely taken away from the regular negative thoughts and things distracting them professionally and personally. This, in turn, helps them get more positivity and find solutions to their problems.
5) Cardiovascular System - Walking lowers the occurrences of cardiovascular disease by 40 %. The blood circulation to the heart and pumping to all other body areas remains normal through activities like walking. That is why patients with stroke or heart problems are advised to go for a walk every day.
6) Fat Tissue - Walking reduces fat content in the body, especially for obese people having a BMI (body mass index) of more than 30.
7) Metabolism - Walking improves the metabolism of the body and has effects on the digestive system as well. It helps in the churning of food faster and the secretion of the enzymes in the stomach for better digestion.
8) On Musculoskeletal System - Walking has a major role to play in the functioning of the muscles and bones. Each and every joint of the human body is connected to each other and if one is affected, the others are in danger too. Walking keeps the synovial fluid present inside the joints in normal consistency. The wear and tear of joints are minimized through walking. It helps in improving osteoporosis, as the strength of the bones is increased and prevents degenerative processes. Walking prevents stiffness, sprain, and strain in joints and muscles. A decrease in uric acid level in blood and delayed onset muscle soreness can also be eradicated through regular walking.
9) Posture - Walking improves posture. As one walks, he tries to mobilize each part of the vertebrae, making them align with one another.
10) Back Pain - Walking reduces back pain by improving posture and mobilization of the spine. It is important to follow medications if there is a severe back issue. Brisk walking short distances and rest can help maintain the curvature of the spine.
11) Lung Capacity - Walking improves lung capacity by rectifying the breathing pattern, increasing the amount of oxygen, and increasing the vital capacity and lung volume.
12) Gynecological System - Walking also helps prevent many gynecological problems in women (of all ages), like PCOD (polycystic ovary disease), UTI (urinary tract infection), pelvic floor dysfunction, infertility, etc. Women face many issues with weight management, due to which secondary complications arise. Walking at least 30 minutes daily can boost stamina.
13) Fit Body - Toning and shaping the body is possible through walking. The lower body muscles come into action while walking, thus helping in toning the pelvic, quadriceps, hamstring, and calf muscles as well.
14) Post-Partum Body - After childbirth, it becomes quite tiresome to lose those baby fat deposits around the abdomen and hip area particularly. Spending almost the entire day with the baby, the mother’s energy is completely lost to do anything good for herself. So, walking can be the best and the most simple solution for this. So, frequently walking inside the room while carrying the baby can help metabolize the fat. Take a walk outside for at least 20 minutes when the baby sleeps.
15) High Blood Pressure - Patients suffering from high blood pressure find that walking helps maintain blood pressure at a normal level. It helps keep the blood consistency thin and prevents frequent increases in blood pressure.
16) Diabetes Mellitus - Patients with borderline or high-risk sugar levels also get a lifeline through walking. It helps maintain insulin levels and promotes the pancreas to secrete insulin and distribute evenly all throughout the body.
How Much Should One Walk Every Day?
Knowing about the benefits of walking, it is important to know the number of steps one needs to take and the amount of walking that is necessary. So, 30 minutes of walking should be done by everyone on average. For diabetes and high blood pressure patients, minimum of 30 to 40 minutes twice daily (mostly during early morning hours and night time two to three hours before bed) is recommended. In the case of cardiac patients, once daily at a slow pace for 30 minutes is advised. For obese people, walking twice to thrice daily can be helpful for at least 20 to 30 minutes to burn calories. Walking can be fun if regularly practiced along with friends or partner. Walking and talking cover up the distance with little focus on time. It should be a part of everyone's routine workout so that life becomes easier and more comfortable to live with.
So, these were some of the effects and benefits of walking mentioned and hoping this article finds some solutions to day-to-day problems. Have a happy and healthy life.