Q. How can I overcome focus and verbal understanding issues?

Answered by
Dr. Meena. Parth Singh
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 22, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am female, 21 years of age and as weird as this sounds, I always feel like I am so overfocused that I cannot really focus. I am very slow when it comes to verbal communication, it is something I have struggled with ever since I was a child. So when someone is verbally giving me instructions, from something as simple as sending an email to someone to passing on a long message to someone else, I just zone out or like I said at the beginning, so focused on what's being said that I forget, like I was not even listening. I always ask for the person to repeat, but it usually takes four more repeats for me to at least get the gist of the conversation, which obviously leads to people getting frustrated. I was screened for any learning or hearing disabilities when I was a child, but the counselors at school could not find anything wrong with me. This is extremely frustrating for me and gets in the way of my social and work life. I would like to know if it could be some kind of attention disorder or something else? I do not know if the following info helps but I have always been a sensitive child. I could not stand going to the theater or concerts until I was 14 years old and very intense smells make me cry, regardless whether it smells good or not. I am also extremely hyperactive. I get so restless that I walk and run around the house, but I know how to control it when I am in public. I was also bullied all throughout middle school, it stopped mid-high school when I finally stood up for myself.



Welcome to

It seems from the information you have provided that you might be suffering from an adult variant of attention deficit hyperactive disorder, inattention type. Do you also have symptoms like repetitive acts or rituals, urge to repeat words or images, repetitive handwashing or checking repeatedly. If these symptoms are present, you might be suffering from OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). But still, I think the first provisional diagnosis is an attention deficit hyperactive disorder, inattention type. You may get relief by medicines like Methylphenidate or Methamphetamine.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Why am I not interested in studies?

Relaxation exercise helps to improve concentration ... Secondly, if you get courage to improve your communication with parents, then this will go in your benefit ......   Read full

How to control my son's behavioral problems?

.. your concern. Young children with delayed milestones are at high risk of conditions like ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactive disorder) or autism or even behavioral problems. Probably, he needs a careful evaluation to find these problems. Having sa...   Read full

Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?

Fluoxetine 40 mg has been very effective in treating OCD, but caused memory problem, speech problem and lack of concentration ... I am medicine compliant and after trying several SSRIs found Fluoxetine...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Also Read

Improving the Health and Wellbeing of People Living With Neglected Tropical Diseases
Neglected tropical diseases can be efficiently treated with various cross-sectoral public health interventions to improv...  Read more»
Holi Colors - Are They Safe?
Holi is known as the festival of colors. But are the colors worth playing with? Let us find out.  Read more»
Onions - Nutrition, Health Benefits, and Side Effects
Onions are an imperative ingredient for most of the main course dishes. Read the article below to learn about them more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.