Q. What could be the reason for constant dull pain in head and neck?

Answered by
Shakti Mishra
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I have been getting a sudden radiating pain like a wave from the back of the head up to the forehead. It is worse on right side and radiates to left side. It comes suddenly and is dull, but about 7/10 in pain scale. It goes away almost as fast as it starts. It happens multiple times a day when I am standing or sitting. And, it does not occur when I am lying down. Also, I have a mild constant dull ache in my head and moderate neck pain, which is worse on the right side. I feel that I have multiple trigger points and can sometimes replicate the pain when I hit them, but not always. Do you feel this pain could be from the trigger points? Is this something my chiropractor can help with? I have not seen him for about two months and this pain started about a month ago. I am in a desk job and I do work for around 40 hours a week. I never had headaches like this before. I am currently taking Ibuprofen for pain.



Welcome to

  • According to your complaint, physical structure of the body and workstation type, you are having a very sedentary lifestyle. I think there might be ergonomically raised causes for your symptoms.
  • Long hours of sitting at your job might have put a lot of pressure over your eyes, which might have caused an increase in intraocular pressure for which radiating pain is present. That pain is radiating to your neck, but obvious for your posture.
  • First of all you need to take frequent breaks within your working hours of 15 to 20 minutes. Try to move out of your seat, close your eyes splash water onto your eyes.
  • Maintain your posture and stretch out your upper chest with widening your hands out. Shoulder shrugging exercise will help; put a small pillow support behind your neck and lumbar region for proper posture correction. Try to sit erect on your chair to prevent sagging of your chest.
  • Yes, you can consult your chiropractor for a second opinion.

For further information consult a physiotherapist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How to manage back pain that started after playing Foosball?

.. your concern. I would suggest you get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) done of your low back. As your complaints are suggestive of disc involvement, I would like to rule that out. I would like to know further details like pain character and ...   Read full

My eyes are watering while using mobile. Can you suggest me glasses?

.. try to minimize mobile screen time. Secondly, try to make habit of eye blinking at the regular interval because while seeing screen we stare and do not blink that much. That is why the eye gets dry and to compensate that, your eyes start producing...   Read full

How can I protect my eyes from damage while using computer?

.. that you can have is computer vision syndrome. If you are working for so long. In this, the blinking rate of eyes is reduced due to constantly staring at the screen which can cause dry eyes because in every blink our eyes are hydrated. So, in orde...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Also Read

Improving the Health and Wellbeing of People Living With Neglected Tropical Diseases
Neglected tropical diseases can be efficiently treated with various cross-sectoral public health interventions to improv...  Read more»
Holi Colors - Are They Safe?
Holi is known as the festival of colors. But are the colors worth playing with? Let us find out.  Read more»
Onions - Nutrition, Health Benefits, and Side Effects
Onions are an imperative ingredient for most of the main course dishes. Read the article below to learn about them more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online?

Ask a Physiotherapist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.