Do irregular food timings lead to weight gain in PCOD patients?

Q. PCOD and irregular food timings are making it it difficult to reduce weight. Kindly help me.

Answered by
Dr. Jignaba Zala
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 10, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am a 28-year-old unmarried woman with PCOD. I was diagnosed with PCOD eight years back. My height is 4.9 feet, and my current weight is 150 lbs. I have been trying to lose weight for years. A few years back, my weight was 176 lbs, and in the past one and a half years, I have been able to lose only 22 lbs of my weight. I had tried many things for weight loss like Herbalife products, Keto tablets, Phytolacca berry but to no effect.

I am sharing my present diet plan with you as it is a lockdown period, so I am at home and am leading a quite indisciplined lifestyle. Indisciplined in terms of timing. I go to sleep every day at 5 AM the morning after watching web series. I wake up late at 12.30 PM, and at that time, I take one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in lukewarm water on an empty stomach. After 15 mins, I take Oziva's nutritional meal shake for women in chocolate flavor. My online B.Ed class goes on at that time till 3.30 PM. In between that time, I take either one or two apples and guava. As now it is a season of mangoes, so along with one apple, I am also taking one mango daily. As my B. Ed class ends at 3.30 PM. I take a bath and have my lunch at 5.30 PM. My lunch comprises rice, one-piece fish curry, two types of vegetables and raita. I have my evening snacks at 9.30 PM, which comprises microwave butter popcorn or sugar-free keto almond cookies, or sugar-free ginger tea with milk. I use powdered milk like amulya or everyday. I have my dinner at 1 AM, which comprises two to three roti, a salad made of boiled egg, potatoes, capsicum, onion, garlic, and sometimes chole or paneer or green moong dal. This is all I eat in a day. I have not eaten fast food for the last five months because of COVID. I have also avoided pastry, ice cream, chocolates for a long. We do not use white sugar. Instead, we use sugar lite in our food. Despite all these restrictions, my weight is maintained at 154 lbs for since long. It is not going below that. I do not know whether there is any problem with my weight machine. I do not have thyroid or diabetes. Presently, I am taking only one medication, tablet Stalopam plus, for depression and anxiety. Please suggest how I may reduce my weight. I am indeed quite indisciplined in terms of my timing. I seldom suffer from indigestion. I even do not work out daily or go to the gym. I really need to reduce more weight. I have always been bullied everywhere because of my overweight body, and it has led me to depression and developed low esteem about myself. I am allergic to certain drugs like Norflox, Nortini, Pan-D, Cifran-CT. I am a non vegetarian. Kindly help me.



Welcome to

There are multiple factors in your case. as you have PCOD (poly-cystic ovarian disease), you have a hormonal imbalance that causes bloating, water retention, and weight gain. The second thing you are not physically active or do exercise. Third, your activities schedule is not good as per the biological clock of the body. So all these factors affect. About food, if you want to lose fat you have to be calory deficient. As per your description, you are taking calories but not burning them at all. Another thing is you need to look at not only calories but macronutrients you are eating. Food should be balanced in fat, protein, carbohydrates. from your diet. You are eating carbohydrates more than protein and fat. Fruits are rich in nutrients but also in carbohydrates. Keto almond diet cookies are not going to help in fat loss or your digestion and metabolism. Also, you did not mention water intake. Drink at least 1 gallon of water everyday. Try to make lifestyle changes. Make changes in your diet.

Try to be more active at home. And it would help if you made changes in diet also. And most importantly, I suggest you take homeopathic medicine for PCOD. It is curable with homeopathic medicine without side effects. It may sound easy, but trust me, all you need is a good treatment and a customized diet chart. You can gain your confidence back and lose extra fat. you are beautiful the way you always remember it. All you need is some help, and you can be healthier, fitter, and confident. I hope this was helpful.

Hello doctor,

Thank you.

Yes, I do need treatment for PCOD as well as reduce my weight. Please provide me with a diet chart for weight loss. I also want your advice on the homeopathic treatment of PCOD. I was on treatment for PCOD, as I frequently had menorrhagia and irregular periods at a gap of about three to four months. My USG of the lower abdomen showed multiple cysts. In the allopathic treatment of PCOD, they provide you with contraceptive pills which cause extreme bleeding during periods with clots and pain. I am surely looking forward to the homeopathic treatment of PCOD. But first, please provide me with a proper diet chart with the timings at which the foods must be taken. I am allergic to certain drugs like Norflox, Nortini, Pan-D, Cifran-CT. Can I continue taking apple cider vinegar and Oziva nutritional meal shake? Kindly give your opinion.



Welcome back to

Apple cider vinegar has acidic effects. If you do not have any complaints regarding heartburn, acidity, acid reflux, then you can continue it. Also, it does not have any health benefits in PCOS, as the internet says. So it is up to you. Now about Oziva nutritional meal, it is a combination of vitamins and minerals, so there is no harm in taking it. For the food chart, I need more details about your lifestyle to design a customized chart for you. I hope this was helpful.

Hi doctor,

Thank you.

I have an undisciplined lifestyle, as I mentioned above. Those are my daily routine. I do not take anything extra other than that. Kindly provide me a diet chart with proper timings so that I can reduce my weight.



Welcome back to

If you want a customized diet chart, then you need to consult first. I suggest you have a consultation for a diet chart. Try to do more activities it will help you reduce weight. I hope this was helpful.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have PCOD from the last 10 years. Please suggest a permanent cure.

.. that PCOD is not diagnosed by ultrasound.Kindly get thyroid profile, serum androsterone test, serum prolactin, serum testosterone, free androgen index, serum insulin, and fasting blood sugar test done.   Read full

How can I lose weight?

.. your concerns. Many persons on the 1200 calorie diet face a similar issue. Here are the tips to lose weight : You should eat small healthy snacks between main meals. Do more cardio exercise. Avoid eating carbohydrates after 7 PM.   Read full

Please suggest a diet chart so that I can study properly and stop gaining weight.

Please help me with some diet charts so that I can study properly and due to improper diet my weight increased alarmingly ... Accordingly, I can suggest a diet chart   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Also Read

Improving the Health and Wellbeing of People Living With Neglected Tropical Diseases
Neglected tropical diseases can be efficiently treated with various cross-sectoral public health interventions to improve people's well-being. Read to know more.  Read more»
Holi Colors - Are They Safe?
Holi is known as the festival of colors. But are the colors worth playing with? Let us find out.  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed through this article.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online?

Ask a Dietician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.