iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPhysiotherapybicep ruptureWill caving in of biceps occur due to tendon rupture or tendonitis?

My biceps caved in a little with pain after workout. Why?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At February 27, 2020
Reviewed AtJanuary 19, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

Last night I worked out my arms, mainly my biceps, and today I woke up and noticed that the upper region of my biceps has caved-in a little. It seems like it has changed its shape slightly. It does not look like a popeye. There is no constant pain, but I do get a dull pain when I firmly touch that region. What could this be? Could this be a tendon rupture or tendonitis?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have received your query and have gone through your physical findings and my diagnosis and treatment advice regarding this would be as follows.

You said that the previous night you worked out your arms, the next day you had pain in the anterior shoulder, and the pain is not constant. Yes, I do suspect it might be biceps-long head tendinitis. I am saying this because you had more pain in the anterior shoulder. This thing could be because of your heavy workout, sudden lifting of weights, sudden high tensed overhead activity, improper maintenance of posture while workout which could stress your biceps long head which origins from the anterior shoulder blade and lead to pain, inflammation, tenderness, swelling, and minimizing activity levels.

I would say that in your case, it might be an acute mild or moderate injury and not severe.

My advice would be

1. Please break your workout for some days.

2. Do not perform any overhead activity.

3. No external rotations of your shoulder.

4. No pulling or pushing using your shoulder.

5. Apply ice for 15 minutes two to three times a day until the pain and swelling subside.

If symptoms do not subside, please consult an orthopedic or qualified physical therapist. There are many techniques available for further rehabilitation. Protocols such as soft tissue mobilization, iontophoresis, ultrasound, tens, stretchings, phonophoresis, etc., can be used if an injury is severe and long-term rehabilitation is planned.

I hope this helps.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Nalia Raja Rajeshwar Rao
Nalia Raja Rajeshwar Rao


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy