Loneliness is basically a suffering that is different among different age groups. It has the tendency to fluctuate with time, and prolonged loneliness can lead to depression. It is sensed as not a lack of company but a lack of purpose in living for and with others. Loneliness can be experienced both socially and emotionally by a person. Sometimes it can be dangerous to be isolated as it affects mental health. Feeling of lack of social connectivity can sometimes be painful and makes the person very dull to perform his day-to-today activities. Anxiety and fear are also considered common companions of loneliness. It is the most unwelcome feeling that has to be tackled within a span of time.
What Is Loneliness?
Loneliness refers to being alone or in an unpleasant state devoid of togetherness. It may have an indirect effect on a person's health. It has a negative impact on life as the person cannot discuss things with others in order to maintain their space. People may encounter loneliness to some degree or phase of life that they cannot forget. It is a form of internal pain suffered by a person mentally, emotionally, and to some extent physically. It is very important to deal with mental thoughts and to be social in order to tackle loneliness.
How Is Loneliness Classified?
Loneliness is classified into three types- transient loneliness, chronic loneliness, and situational loneliness.
- Transient Loneliness: Occurs as a response to minor changes in social life, for example, a small argument with a close friend.
- Chronic Loneliness: Happens due to prolonged suffering or trauma.
- Situational Loneliness: Occurs in response to major changes in life, such as divorce.
What Are the Signs of Loneliness?
- Poor self-esteem, doubt about self-worth, and negative thoughts scattering in mind. These kinds of feelings may affect the person in the long term of life.
- Lack of friends is another issue due to which the person cannot speak their mind and feel extremely alone.
- Inability to have a deep and intimate conversation to enlighten the mind and soul with someone.
- Feeling isolated even when the person is surrounded by a group of people.
- When connecting with other people in the society becomes a difficult task, and hesitation to even walk around.
- Constant feeling of getting tired without doing anything.
- Spending the day watching movies and songs all alone renders the feeling of loneliness.
- Having more friends on social media and none in real life is also very challenging and distressing.
- Triggered events and previous experiences that haunt people throughout their life can also be the reason for being alone.
- The urge to disconnect with family and friends for no reason.
- Being uninterested in family function and activities make the person an indifferent member of the family.
- People suffering from loneliness often experience mood swings.
- Disturbed or poor sleep cycle at night.
- Becoming a shy and introverted person with time can be considered a sign of loneliness.
- Constant feeling of sadness and urge to eat more food.
- Unable to focus on things and feeling foggy.
- Increased desire for shopping and spending more time alone.
- Developing insecurities in mind for no reason.
- Feeling of annoyance, anger, and irritation may be a sign of loneliness.
- People who face rejection in life often experience loneliness.
- Lonely people often are stubborn in nature.
How to Prevent Loneliness?
Being alone can sometimes help people to know themselves much better, but in the long run, it may affect their state of mind and, ultimately, mental health. The ways they can reduce or prevent loneliness from their lives are:-
- Creating a positive mindset that will help to lead a happy and cheerful life.
- Catch up with old friends and batchmates to be in touch and be socially active.
- Engaging in small get-togethers, hobby classes, and playing games with friends and family.
- Developing new friendships and exploring new relationships is the best way to exchange words and thoughts.
- Following new hobbies and indulging in social activities will keep their minds busy and occupied.
- Having a pet animal such as a dog or cat is the best thing one person can do to fill empty spaces in life.
- Practicing yoga and gym training helps in being mentally fit.
- Maintaining a diary with updated details of each day in case the person wants to share their secrets.
- Self-care is more important, and exchanging self-thoughts with others might elevate a good mood and happy mind.
- Indulging oneself in spirituality, like visiting temples and churches.
- Avoid and detach from friends who love to criticize others as it creates a negative vibe.
- Planning trips and parties with friends to different places in order to explore places and themselves.
- Playing with younger kids as they are active and cheerful.
- Avoiding or practicing detachment from society and surroundings.
- Consult a counselor for advice and take therapy in order to reverse loneliness.
- Join online dating apps and friends sites who are unable to make friends by themselves.
- Promote a healthy diet as it leads to a healthy mind.
- Construct an optimistic mind and retard unpleasant thoughts.
- Broaden the self boundaries to welcome new people in life.
- Indulging in the job if the person is not working in order to be occupied in life.
- Small talks with other people can lead to tiny steps in preventing loneliness.
- Meditation can help to bring focus and develop the confidence to indulge in social activities.
Dealing with loneliness is not an easy task when the person is suffering from long-term loneliness. Getting rid of loneliness is necessary to overcome negativity and unpleasant thoughts. It is an undesirable emotion considered by most people with a negative outcome. Loneliness is not created or caused by other people but is self-made by humans. Sometimes, it is very important to have the first step in conversation because if people do not speak to others, others will not speak to them, as this is the way life goes on. Building bridges instead of walls might help to increase the social circle.