Q. Should I lose weight to improve my PCOD symptoms?

Answered by
Dr. Atul Prakash
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 16, 2022

Hi doctor,

I am an unmarried woman and quite overweight. My present weight is 74 kilograms, and my height is five feet. I am a patient of PCOD (polycystic ovary disease). I was diagnosed with PCOD at the age of 14. I have struggled with my overweight for a long time, followed a diet, and did light exercises at home, but weight loss is very slow. If I lose weight, my weight again starts increasing quickly. I even experience tiredness and fatigue most of the time. Kindly prescribe me some hard exercises to lose weight fast. I am sending you the images of the exercises I am currently practicing at home.

Thank you.



Welcome to

The images of the exercises that you have sent (attachment removed for protecting patient identity) are for people who are middle-aged or older to keep indoors.

You need to lose weight, and for that, you will need to do the following

1). Eat a 1500 kilo calorie diet.

2). Exercise for 45 minutes five times a week. This should include aerobic and weight training. You can do walking, cycling, and swimming for 30 minutes, and remaining 15 minutes do weight training exercises.

3). You should aim to burn 3500 kilo calories per day and have a calorie deficit of 2000 kilo calories.

This should help lose weight in three to six months.

Thank you.

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your answer.

Can you kindly send me images of the aerobic and weight training exercises? I must do it for weight loss. If I can do jogging, then for how long I must do jogging in a day? For how long I can do jumping or skipping ?

It will be of great help if you share images of the exercises.

Thank you.



Welcome back to

Jogging and skipping are not ideal if you are overweight.

You should walk 10000 steps a day.

Your efforts should be such that the heart rate should increase from 135 to 150 beats per minute. This should be maintained for upto 30 minutes.

You should start off by seeing a dietician and a physical trainer who can supervise you daily.

No single exercise will suit everyone. You should really discuss this with your trainer.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I am overweight with umbilical hernia. How to reduce my weight?

How to reduce my weight ... Hello doctor, I am 33 years old with a weight of 63 kg, and my height is 153 cm ... I am feeling overweight ...   Read full

I am overweight after pregnancy. Please advice a homeopathic medicine to lose weight.

Hello doctor, I am dealing with the post-pregnancy weight of 109 kg ... Please recommend me a homeopathic medicine to lose my weight fast ...   Read full

Can PCOD cause problems in getting pregnant?

.. Aloes compound tablet - two in the morning and two at night. Vaan Kumari Legiyam - 1 g (1 spoon), three times daily. Capsule Siddhadhi Ennai - seven capsules together during the second or third day of periods starting. Take it at 6 AM, and drink o...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Also Read

Holi Colors - Are They Safe?
Holi is known as the festival of colors. But are the colors worth playing with? Let us find out.  Read more»
Onions - Nutrition, Health Benefits, and Side Effects
Onions are an imperative ingredient for most of the main course dishes. Read the article below to learn about them more.  Read more»
Benefits of Sudarshan Kriya Breathing Technique
Sudarshan kriya is a breathing exercise that connects the mind with the body through breathing. Read the article to know...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online?

Ask a Physiotherapist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.