Q. Do you have any suggestions or stretches I could do on my own for my neck pain?

Answered by
Sreenivasa Rao
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 24, 2022

Hi doctor,

My neck has been hurting since last week. I stood up and felt something pop and began to become sore. I have been able to work out and go to work all week, and I thought it was getting better, but today, it hurts more, especially when I lift my right arm over my head. Unfortunately, there are no chiropractors available here. Do you have any suggestions or stretches I could do on my own?



Welcome to

I understand your concern.

In my opinion, you have a facet joint irritation in your neck. I recommend the following:

  1. Apply ice to your neck.
  2. A very gentle massage over the neck will be helpful.
  3. A gentle stretch done gradually with an increase in the neck range will be helpful.
  4. Stretch like bending your neck forward with the nose facing midway between rotating towards the shoulder. Bending the neck forward and giving very mild overpressure at the end of the range.

Try this, and please let me know how you feel. Kindly revert to me in case you need any further help in this regard.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have neck pain, stiffness and numbness in my hands. Is it due to syrinx?

.. very well be the syrinx. A syrinx can cause pain and temperature sensory deficits to occur early but may not be recognized for years. Syringomyelia typically causes numbness, weakness, atrophy, and often fasciculation, and reduced reflexes of th...   Read full

After getting neck pain, I have tingling and numbness in my legs. Is this normal?

.. gone through your query. Pinched nerve is different from pinched spinal cord. Compression of spinal cord can be suspected clinically and it is confirmed by doing MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the cervical spine. It is unlikely to have tingli...   Read full

Please suggest some medicines for left-sided head, eye, cheek, and nose pain.

.. the following details. Do you have hypertension? Do you have a history of congestion and cold? Any history of stress, hypoglycemia, irregular meal, etc.? Do you have a throbbing pain? Do you have flashes of light and vomiting? If the answer is yes...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Also Read

Improving the Health and Wellbeing of People Living With Neglected Tropical Diseases
Neglected tropical diseases can be efficiently treated with various cross-sectoral public health interventions to improv...  Read more»
Holi Colors - Are They Safe?
Holi is known as the festival of colors. But are the colors worth playing with? Let us find out.  Read more»
Onions - Nutrition, Health Benefits, and Side Effects
Onions are an imperative ingredient for most of the main course dishes. Read the article below to learn about them more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online?

Ask a Physiotherapist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.