HomeAnswersPsychologist/ Counseloremotional abuseIs there a way to make me realize that I am free and away from feeling trapped in an unhealthy relationship?

What are the ways that help realize freedom and look forward to stepping into a productive life?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 9, 2022
Reviewed AtJuly 5, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My mother has kept me trapped in the house during my growing-up years. Though now that I am out of the house and away from her abuse, I still feel trapped all over again due to circumstances that force me to stay at home or my workplace for eight to twelve hours at a time. Instead of enjoying my life, I fall back into depression, paralysis, and listlessness. It is ruining my life despite getting a job that requires travel. What can I do? Is there a way to turn this misery off and remind me that I am still free even when I am tied up at one location?

Kindly help.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for your query. I am sorry to hear about what you have gone through during your early life. Indeed it is a challenge to deal with daily life and try to act like everything is normal, especially with such hardship and limited exposure in life. The good thing is that you realize this freedom and look forward to stepping into a productive life and living it to the fullest. Unfortunately, what hinders you in between are your frightening experiences and trauma. It is not easy to come out of it suddenly, but gradual practice and adequate counseling can help. I suggest you follow the below tips: Try to make friends or chat with people to know about them. Try to make an outdoor routine, like a sport, a club, or a simple walk. Connect with nature; that broadens your vision and helps you relax. Find and explore yourself and your interests. If not found, then try to make one and follow it. I hope this helps. Kindly revert in case of further questions.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Arooj Maqsood Ahmed Warraieh
Arooj Maqsood Ahmed Warraieh

Psychologist/ Counselor

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online

Psychologist/ Counselor

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy