Egg protein has the highest nutritive quality as compared to any other dietary protein. An egg is said to be a complete food because of its nutritional benefits, such as vitamins, minerals, proteins, healthy fat, etc.
What Is the Nutrient Profile of Eggs?
Who does not know the benefits of an egg? I think everyone is familiar with this nutritious white diamond of the food group. It is a rich source of all nutrients except vitamin C (ascorbic acid). An egg of 50 g weight contains the following:
How Are Eggs Beneficial for Us?
Consumption of eggs provides benefits in the following ways:
Egg protein has the highest nutritive quality as compared to any dietary protein. 60 % of the total protein is found in the egg white, while the remaining 40 % is found in the yolk. A single egg carries approximately 6.3 grams of protein. Proteins are important for muscle strength and the repair of tissues.
Eggs possess all essential amino acids in adequate quantities, which supports muscle health by helping in their growth, recovery, and maintenance. Nutrition experts agree that eggs are very healthy for our body, as they are a good source of high-quality proteins, which are essential for building and maintaining strong muscles.
Fat and cholesterol carry fat-soluble nutrients like vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin A, choline, and carotenoids in the egg yolk, which plays a significant role in the absorption of these essential and important nutrients of the egg. Two eggs provide around 82 % of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin D thus, counting them among its important sources.
Eating eggs can help in pregnancy, it helps in the development of the child's brain, eyes, and overall growth.
Choline is one of the important nutrients required by the body, which is synthesized in the liver. But, most people are not able to produce sufficient choline to meet their daily requirements, it requires consumption through food as well. It plays an important role in normal cell functioning, brain and spinal cord development of the fetus, cognitive development in infants, and also helps in reducing cognitive decline in elderly people.
Eggs are an incredible natural source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are a type of polyunsaturated fatty acids. They play a significant role in the functioning of cell membranes; cardiac and brain health, and protection of the eyes. But, the human body produces only a limited quantity of omega-3 fats on its own so, it is highly imperative to actively ingest them through various sources of food.
Eggs provide on average, 180 mg of omega-3 fatty acids per two eggs. Out of this, 114 mg is the long-chain omega-3 fatty acids that contribute to between 71 to 127 % of the desired intake in adults.
Eggs are a superfood for the eyes as they contain a variety of vitamins and minerals, which includes vitamin A, vitamin E, and selenium. All of these serve as essential antioxidants in promoting eye health, and retina function and help in fighting against the degenerative vision that occurs as a part of aging.
Eggs also contain abundant antioxidants, like lutein and zeaxanthin, which provides protection and decreases the risk of some eye diseases, such as cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. Studies also claim that the above-mentioned antioxidants are better absorbed by the body from eggs than from other plant sources.
Eggs are an easily accessible, economical, and digestible source of abundant protein and essential vitamins and minerals thus, rendering them a must to have dietary inclusion for older people. They are easy to cook and can be prepared in numerous ways. Eggs are a great option to increase nutrient intake in older adults, which further helps in reducing the chances of a wide range of deficiencies and conditions.
They also hold a remarkable amount of leucine, an amino acid that is imperative for ongoing muscle support; and other essential nutrients like vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids, and choline, which is important for cognitive health.
The various components of eggs, like vitamin B2, vitamin B12, choline, iron, and tryptophan are all linked with decreasing the chances of anxiety, symptoms of depression, and inducing sleep.
Eggs are a wonderful superfood that is rich in many essential nutrients and provides abundant health benefits. Due to these characteristics, eggs are a must to have for individuals of all age groups and they should be a part of the daily diet.