What can I do to straighten my curved lumbar spine and un-cant hips?

Q. What can I do to straighten my curved lumbar spine and un-cant hips?

Answered by
James F. Geiselman
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am a 19-year-old male. Around two months back, I had a hiccup when dead-lifting and my lower back or lumbar spine area had a sharp pain. At the time, I did not think much of it and since then discontinued dead-lifts. Over time, I have developed some sciatica in my left hamstring area. I visited a chiropractor about two weeks ago and he took X-rays of my spine, revealing that my lumbar spine is curved to the right, canting my hips and therefore putting pressure on my sciatic nerve. I went in for three adjustments with him, over a one and half week span. I no longer have access to my chiropractor, being that I am overseas. My question is what can I do by myself in order to straighten out my lumbar spine and un-cant my hips so that my sciatic nerve can get some relief? Am I going to have to find another chiropractor and get more adjustments while I am over here? Note that the discomfort of sciatica only happens with a straight left leg when bending at the waist.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Based on what you wrote, it sounds as though you may have scoliosis, a wedged vertebrae in the lumbar spine, a disc issue, or even lower cross syndrome. If there is any way to attach images of the X-rays, that would be ideal (though I know the current situation is not ideal). Assuming it is indeed a scoliosis curvature, I can tell you that you will not be able to straighten your spine (anatomically speaking). If it is a lower cross syndrome, your best bet while you are overseas is to work on core stabilization exercises. Bridge exercises, planks, and clams may all be beneficial to the lumbopelvic-hip-complex. All of these exercises can be found online, but essentially we want to strengthen the weak muscles and relax the overactive muscle. Please get the help of internet resources to have a knowledge of lower cross syndrome to get an idea of what muscles may be overactive and underactive. Without examining you myself, or seeing X-rays, this is about all of the information I can provide. When you return to your place, I would recommend continuing treatment with your chiropractor.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can scoliosis get corrected through surgery?

Hi doctor, I have scoliosis from my 15 years of age ...   Read full

Penis enlargement exercises led to swollen veins on my shaft. Please guide me.

.. seen the images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If there is a pain of veins, especially when you touch them, or any signs of inflammation, only then it is a thrombophlebitis of veins.   Read full

Can knee arthroscopy cause scoliosis and pain?

Hello doctor,I have mild scoliosis convex to the left and was wondering if a left knee arthroscopy can be the cause of my posture and/or pain issues ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Also Read

Improving the Health and Wellbeing of People Living With Neglected Tropical Diseases
Neglected tropical diseases can be efficiently treated with various cross-sectoral public health interventions to improve people's well-being. Read to know more.  Read more»
Holi Colors - Are They Safe?
Holi is known as the festival of colors. But are the colors worth playing with? Let us find out.  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed through this article.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online?

Ask a Chiropractor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.