iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPhysiotherapymuscle spasmI have had pain in my upper back after falling on the floor during deadlifting. How can I treat it?

Is it possible to cure my recurrent upper back pain caused during exercising?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Sreenivasa Rao

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 18, 2022
Reviewed AtOctober 18, 2022

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 16-year-old male. My weight is 76 kilograms, and my height is 5 feet 11 inches. I go to the gym and lift weights to compete in powerlifting. When I was deadlifting, I was pushed off the floor. I twisted my head to the left, and I assumed that there was a lot of pressure on the right side of my body. I felt minor pain in my upper middle back underneath my shoulder blade. I do not think this is a muscle, as I only get pain in certain positions that seem to change. So the minor pain got worse, and I could barely pick up weight. I took five days off for lifting, and it seemed to have dulled away, so I headed back but stayed off lifted, such as deadlifting, rows, and anything that would need me to pick weights off the floor. Everything went fine for five days or so, and the pain was just an annoyance that remained. I am currently resting, as the gyms are closed at the time, and the pain has got much worse all of a sudden. I would just like some advice on what this may be and how I can treat it.

Answered by Sreenivasa Rao

Hello doctor,

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I read your concern. In my opinion, the pain could be due to facet joint irritation, irritating the adjoining muscle, and inducing spasms.

I would advise you to

1. Do lot of icing to relieve pain and spasm. Icing to be done frequently once in a hour for 15 minutes.

2. Do foam rolling in the upper back.

3. Do thoracic mobilization exercises lying on top of a foam roller.

4. Do not force any movement now.

If you have anybody for your assistance, you can have gentle kneading of that area.

Drink lot of fluids and ORS (oral rehydration solution). Have a good sleep for a while. If you have any anti-inflammatory medication prescribed to you earlier, you can have them now.

I hope this is helpful to you. Revert back in case you need any further clarification in this regard.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Sreenivasa Rao
Sreenivasa Rao


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

muscle injurymuscle spasm

Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy