iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPsychologist/ Counselormultiple phobiaHow to deal with phobia of closed spaces and breathing problems?

I have phobia of closed spaces with breathing problem. Please help.

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At April 9, 2020
Reviewed AtApril 9, 2020

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am 19 years old. I am facing some kind of fear from about six to seven years. I thought it naturally demolish with the time but now it is increasing day by day. Before I have the only fear of suffocation and inclosed space like jet, lift, etc. Now from about two months, I am facing one more new phobia which is I cannot catch my breath then my heartbeat rise rapidly. I cannot focus on my life goals. Due to these problems, I cannot go foreign or everywhere where I want to go. Please help.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Yes, you are experiencing panic-related symptoms under anxiety issues. As you have shared of phobia. It requires adequate counseling and brief psychotherapy to deal with anxiety problems. The symptoms you are experiencing are part of panic attack. Feelings and symptoms like palpitations, getting heart attack, difficultly in breathing, digestive concerns, and sleep problems can be a part of heart related problems or anxiety.

At first, you must need to get proper assessment identifying the cause of this anxiousness whether it is work related or some personal issue. It can be done by analyzing thought processes when you are having such symptoms.

After analyzing thoughts, cognitive behavior therapy, thought channelization, and restructuring are quite helpful. In addition, to make yourself relax you can do the following:

1. Deep breathing exercises.

2. Walk for at least 30 minutes per day.

3. Workout if possible to release toxins out of your body.

4. Reduce smoking (if you do).

5. Avoid junk and spicy food, soft drinks.

6. Increase water intake.

7. Thought diary or journaling will be also helpful for analyzing and restructuring of thoughts (underlying cause) of the problem.

You can also have an appointment with the counselor to help you in assessing and provide you with individualized therapy as per the requirement.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Arooj Maqsood Ahmed Warraieh
Arooj Maqsood Ahmed Warraieh

Psychologist/ Counselor

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online

Psychologist/ Counselor

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy