I cannot stand because of sharp pain from hip. Please help me.

Q. I cannot stand because of sharp pain from hip. Please help me.

Answered by
Sreenivasa Rao
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 27, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am a 35 year old male. I had a wound on my right ankle which lasted for some months and my right leg was hanged to enable blood flow to the leg. After two months, the leg was brought down and bandaged while I went for a normal dressing of the wound. I started using the bandage on the right leg to move around without a walking aid. When the bandage was finally removed, I started noticing that my right leg was taller than the left. I started going for massages to enable my legs to come back to the same heights. Then, I started having sharp pain from all around my left hip to my left knee. Right now, I cannot stand with my left leg alone because of the sharp pain I am having at my left hip. I am now using a walking aid. I also noticed that there is no strength to raise my lap up while sitting. I went to the hospital and was given this drug (Methocarbamol USP 500 mg) and some painkillers but the pain will not go away. Help me. I am in pain.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

The pain could be due to two reasons - one that is coming from the back and the other could be from the hip due to post-immobilization stiffness and possible wasting as you were in two months of immobilization. I would like you to get your pain diagnosed properly before jumping into treatment.

And also, like to check your calcium levels in bed. In my opinion, X-ray of your hip joint will let us know more of your hip issue. Later, we can go for other specific investigations and clinical analysis that will help zero in the probable cause and source of the issue.

As of now, keep icing your hip joint and painful area once every 15 minutes for every one hour possibly. You can go for anti-inflammatory medication if it was given to you previously.

Kindly revert back with details of X-ray and other medical issues if you have like diabetes and hypertension, etc. Hope this is helpful for now.

For further queries consult a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What can cause sudden ankle swelling and pain?

Hello doctor, Patient's left leg is swollen at ankle with severe pain at the joint for the past 10 days ... Acute or sudden onset of ankle pai   Read full

Shall I continue the treatment advised by my doctor for hip joint pain?

.. have been in a better position to answer your query if I had seen the plain x-ray of pelvis films and MRI films rather than just a report. From the description of your symptoms and the MRI report, it seems that you have an arthritic right hip joint, t   Read full

From my MRI report, please explain the reason for ankle pain.

Hi doctor, I am suffering from left ankle pain ... I feel the pain from my ankle joint to my hip ... I am also suffering from lower bac   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Also Read

Improving the Health and Wellbeing of People Living With Neglected Tropical Diseases
Neglected tropical diseases can be efficiently treated with various cross-sectoral public health interventions to improve people's well-being. Read to know more.  Read more»
Holi Colors - Are They Safe?
Holi is known as the festival of colors. But are the colors worth playing with? Let us find out.  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed through this article.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online?

Ask a Physiotherapist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.