What is the treatment for conversion reaction disease?

Q. My friend is diagnosed with first stage of conversion reaction disease. What to do?

Answered by
Mehwish Mursaleen
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 27, 2023

Hello doctor,

My friend is 20 years old, female. Some days ago she sensed less on a train and then this again happened with her. She consulted a doctor and he says that she is suffering from the first stage of conversion reaction disease. But the doctor could not suggest any medicines but he says that the last stage of this disease is paralysis. The doctor says to my friend not to take any tension and to keep her mind free all the time. She was feeling weak what will she do?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have read and completely understand that you feel quite concerned for your friend. As you have mentioned that she has been diagnosed by the doctor as having conversion disorder, it is quite probable that she may undergo these conversion attacks at any time. There are purely psychological reasons behind this disorder, no medical cause lead to this condition. Therefore, generally, no medical treatment could be found as a cure for these attacks. If the doctor has suggested this diagnosis after a complete assessment then there may be no further need for the tests. If complete testing has not been administered yet then you may go to a psychologist for confirming the diagnosis after keenly observing her medical test reports. Needs to be differentiated for the types of conversion disorder according to the DSM-5 (diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorder) criteria. Generally, no particular medication is prescribed for conversion disorder. However, some doctors may suggest medication after observing the patient's current condition (beware these medications would reduce anxiety or tension but would not cure the conversion disorder). The effective treatment for conversion disorder is found to be psychotherapy. Consult any psychologist or psychiatrist specialized in conducting psychotherapy sessions. Or you can suggest some online consultation sessions. The treatment mode can be cognitive behavioral therapy plus psycho-education. Must take expert guidance on how to deal with the patient behaviorally. Family members and close ones of such patients also need guidance because their mishandling can increase the frequency of conversion attacks.

Thank you.

Probable diagnosis:

Conversion disorder.

Regarding follow up:

Do take follow-up if you feel the need.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Bipolar Disorder: Multiple Mood Episodes, but where is the Solution?

.. by bouts of depression and spells of intense happiness. This article focuses on the clinical features of this disorder and the available treatment options .. ...   Read full


Previous history of any mental illness ... Other mental health disorder ... If it is related to some underlying health condition, then   Read full

What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?

ADHD is one of the common neurodevelopmental conditions which is being increasingly recognized in the past few decades ... There are clear diagnostic criteria (ICD-10 and DSM 5), which help us to diagnose ADHD after a thorough clinical assessment includin   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Also Read

Improving the Health and Wellbeing of People Living With Neglected Tropical Diseases
Neglected tropical diseases can be efficiently treated with various cross-sectoral public health interventions to improve people's well-being. Read to know more.  Read more»
Holi Colors - Are They Safe?
Holi is known as the festival of colors. But are the colors worth playing with? Let us find out.  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed through this article.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online?

Ask a Psychologist Counselor Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.