Q. Suggest me medicines to control alcohol drinking.

Answered by
Ananth S
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

Hi doctor,

My father drinks alcohol heavily every day and behaves very rashly at home. Would you please suggest some tablets to control alcohol drinking?



Welcome to

I have some questions. How old is your dad? How heavy is his drinking? How long has he been drinking?

To quit alcohol, the person has to decide to do it firmly. He should join an alcoholic recovery group. To reduce cravings, I suggest medications such as Acamprosate or Naltrexone. We can also try using Antabuse (Disulfiram) to make it unpleasant for him to drink. Most alcoholics are depressed and should be concomitantly given antidepressants.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My heart beats fast and eyes become red if I drink alcohol. Is there a treatment?

Hello doctor,My heartbeat raises and the eyes become very red and I become tired when I take alcohol ... The alcohol ingested is metabolized in the liver and converted to acetaldehyde ...   Read full

Please suggest pills to stop alcoholism without the person knowing.

The two main medications that can be used are Disulfiram (antabuse) 500 mg tablet once daily, and the other medication is used to reduce the craving (he must stop drinking first) which is Acampro...   Read full

Can multiple myeloma be misdiagnosed over chronic alcoholism?

.. can strongly suggest myeloma; however, marrow biopsy is needed. But, one can fairly be sure about the diagnosis. Before starting treatment one will need the bone marrow biopsy. Also, bony lesion if visible on x-ray, then one may proceed without MR...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

Also Read

Sporting Events During the Pandemic
If you are into any sporting event and plan a trip to an outdoor or indoor stadium, or you are an organizer or an athlet...  Read more»
My dad suffers from constipation, buzzing in ears, anxiety, and insomnia. Please help.
Hello doctor, My dad is 64 years old and suffers from severe constipation, anxiety, numbness in his arms but only dur...  Read more»
What is the normal level of carbon monoxide in the body after a leak?
Hi doctor, Recently been concerned about a carbon monoxide leak in my pick-up. Recently after a 3-hour interstate drive...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.