Mercury poisoning is known as toxicity of the body caused due to consumption of excess mercury. Mercury is a toxic metal available in different forms in the environment. Consumption of excess methyl mercury or organic mercury from intake of seafood causes mercury poisoning in the body. The symptoms are a metallic taste on the mouth, numbness and tingling observed in the face, hands, and feet. Eating more fiber foods helps in the excretion of mercury from the body through feces.
All the answers published on this website are written by Verified Health and Wellness Experts and Therapists. The Content has been moderated by the iCliniq Content Review Team before publication. Post your health questions on iCliniq-Wellness by choosing the right Wellness Specialty and get them answered. Your queries will be answered 24/7 by top Wellness Experts from iCliniq-Wellness.
Query: Hello doctor, I have been eating two cans of skipjack tuna every day for the past seven days. I just now read that tuna contains more methylmercury. So, I stopped eating it immediately. How much mercury could have been built up in my body? Will this lead to mercury poisoning? Kindly help. Read Full »
Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The industrial wastes are finally accumulated in the sea; hence, marine meats (fish) contain mercury. The mercury level in fish depends on the mercurial content in the ocean where the fish was living. Therefore the mercury level in the fish will vary from country to... Read Full »
Query: Hi doctor, In the case of chronic mercury poisoning, is there an increased consumption of water? The same question, for chronic fluoride poisoning. Please guide. Read Full »
Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In chronic mercury poisoning, it binds and stops the functions of SH (sulfhydryl-containing enzymes). It also gets deposited and causes cellular toxicity. If the toxic pathology happens in the gastrointestinal tract (GIT), then the patient feels burning inflammatory se... Read Full »