I am 18 years old (height 5 feet 3 inches and weight around 40 kilograms). My problem is that I am not able to gain weight despite following a regular diet. My breakfast includes bread, eggs, instant noodles, and tea. My lunch and dinner are almost the same and include rice, pulses, vegetables, and bread. But despite eating all these food items, I cannot improve my weight. What should I do?
Welcome to icliniq.com.
I suggest you check your thyroid hormone levels. Daily exercise with a proper diet will help you achieve your weight. I will give you a diet chart. Alternative foods are also mentioned.
1. Early morning - Three to four pieces of soaked almond or sprouts.
2. Breakfast - Brown bread, three boiled eggs (without yolk), milk or bread, and peanut butter.
3. Midmorning (11 am) - Fruit juice, especially pineapple, banana milkshake, or any fruit juice available.
4. Lunch - Rice two cups, boiled vegetables, fish or egg or chicken, salad, and curd.
5. Evening snacks (5.30 pm) - Vegetable porridge in one bowl.
6. Dinner - Bread with vegetables or chicken.
Along with this diet, I suggest the following.
1. Do exercises like strength training or yoga.
2. Avoid stress and alcohol.
3. Take plenty of water (10 glasses a day).
4. Before taking a meal, you can walk for some time as it helps you feel more hungry.
5. Sleep at least 7 to 8 hours per day.
After following all these, if you cannot improve your weight, you should take a whey protein supplement. Whey protein supplements can be used to gain weight. There is no side effect if you take prescribed doses with workout or exercise. Take desired amounts depending on your body weight and body type. Taking excessive supplements without proper exercise may cause the following.
1. Digestive problems.
2. Decreased liver function.
3. Muscle damage.
4. Sexual problems like decreased sex desire and premature ejaculation.
5. Hormonal problems like anxiety, depression, and stress.
6. Increased blood sugar levels.
Prolonged use of supplements can cause side effects. If you achieve your desired weight, it should be stopped gradually, like half a teaspoon daily. Also, it is essential to take a good diet and exercise. If you have no other health problems and you are physically fit, then you do not have to worry about your weight. It is better to avoid taking any supplements to gain weight. Kindly remember gaining weight is a time taking process. So do not expect any result within a few days.
Was this answer helpful?|
Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!
.. woman needs a good balanced diet. Before going to that, I will suggest you one thing. As your wife is hypothyroid, the need for thyroid hormones increases by 50% in pregnancy. You need to increase the dose to 75 mcg. Go for a thyroid profile an... Read fullI have headache, weight gain, and altered taste with menstrual changes. Please help.
.. apart from migraines are due to nerve involvement causing parosmia (altered taste sensation) most probably due to Vitamin B12 deficiency. Methylcobalamine (or vitamin B12) supplement 1500 mcg per day for a few weeks is usually advised and you are ... Read fullKindly tell me the ways to gain weight.
.. focus on a balanced diet. Start having protein, carbohydrate-rich diet. You can take a banana shake in the morning. It will give you instant energy as well as help in weight gain. Start taking milk and milk products. You can have pulses, beans, le... Read full
Ask your health query to a Wellness Expert online?Ask a Nutritionist Now